A tragic accident can strike unexpectedly, leaving you and your family devastated and unsure of your next steps. In cases where the loss of a loved one resulted from someone else’s negligence, you may have a viable claim for compensation. An experienced wrongful death lawyer in Nashua can assist you in investigating your claim and guiding you through the legal process.
While no amount of money can bring your loved one back to you, a wrongful death claim can alleviate the unexpected financial burdens that arise from an untimely death. The legal process can be complex and emotionally challenging, but having a dedicated advocate on your side can make a significant difference in your pursuit of justice.
At the Coates Law Office, PLLC, we specialize in personal injury cases, and wrongful death is one of our areas of experience. If you wish to explore your legal options, we encourage you to contact us without delay.
Common Causes Of Wrongful Death in Nashua
A wrongful death can result from any number of different circumstances. Some common circumstances that can result in wrongful death in New Hampshire include:
- Medical Malpractice: Negligence or misconduct by a medical professional, including surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors, and birth injuries.
- Car Accidents: Fatalities resulting from car crashes, trucks, or motorcycle accidents caused by reckless driving, drunk driving, distracted driving, or other forms of driver negligence.
- Workplace Accidents: Fatal injuries occurring on construction sites, industrial accidents, and other hazardous work environments due to inadequate safety measures or equipment failures.
- Defective Products: Fatalities caused by dangerous or defective products, including pharmaceutical drugs, medical devices, and faulty consumer goods.
- Premises Liability: Fatal accidents that occur on someone else’s property due to dangerous conditions, inadequate security, or lack of proper maintenance.
Wrongful Death Claims In Nashua
It is important to understand that a wrongful death claim is distinct from criminal prosecution. While the State may choose to press criminal charges against the person responsible for your loved one’s death, that decision is unfortunately beyond your control. However, this does not leave you and your family without legal recourse.
A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil claim filed against the individual or entity responsible for the death of your loved one. Unlike criminal prosecution, a civil claim does not result in jail time. Instead, the available remedy is financial compensation. Contact a seasoned Nashua wrongful death lawyer to discuss whether the loss of your loved one could give rise to a wrongful death claim.
Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim?
Each state has its own rules regarding the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. In some states, only the personal representative of the deceased’s estate is permitted to file a lawsuit, while others employ a complex formula to determine the appropriate plaintiff(s). New Hampshire takes a more inclusive approach.
According to New Hampshire RSA 556:19, “any person interested in the estate of the deceased” has the right to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. This means that anyone who would be expected to inherit from the estate of the deceased may have the right to file a lawsuit.
Attorney Bradford Coates possesses the experience necessary to handle your Nashua wrongful death claim successfully. He understands the difficulty of pursuing legal action while grieving for your family member. Contact the Coates Law Office, PLLC, to determine if his compassionate approach to these claims is suitable for your needs.
The Deadline For Filing A Wrongful Death Claim
As with any lawsuit, there is a deadline for filing a wrongful death claim in New Hampshire. The court strictly enforces this deadline. Filing a claim after the expiration of the deadline will likely lead to the defense attorneys seeking dismissal of the case with prejudice. In most instances, the court will grant their motion, even if the underlying facts of the claim are exceptionally strong.
In New Hampshire, the deadline to file a wrongful death lawsuit is three years from the date of death, as stated in New Hampshire RSA 508:4. The statute of limitations is complex, and there is little room for error. An experienced wrongful death attorney in Nashua can address your questions regarding the statute of limitations in your case and ensure that you meet the deadline.
Damages Available For A Wrongful Death Claim
Damages in a wrongful death claim differ somewhat from those in a standard negligence lawsuit. According to New Hampshire RSA 556:12, common types of damages awarded in a wrongful death case include:
- Compensation for the pain and suffering the deceased person experienced before their death
- Coverage of reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Payment of medical bills related to the final injury or illness of the deceased person
- Compensation for lost income the deceased person would have earned had they survived
The amount of damages available depends on the projected lifespan of the deceased absent from the accident.
Why Hire A Nashua Wrongful Death Lawyer?
Losing a loved one due to wrongful death is emotionally overwhelming, and navigating the legal process alone can be extremely challenging. Hiring a wrongful death attorney offers several advantages:
- Legal Experience: An attorney will thoroughly understand the laws surrounding wrongful death and can guide you through the complex legal procedures.
- Protection of Rights: Your lawyer will advocate for your rights and fight to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses.
- Emotional Support: Dealing with a wrongful death case is emotionally taxing, and a compassionate attorney can provide the necessary support and guidance.
Consult A Nashua Wrongful Death Lawyer Immediately
The unexpected death of a loved one is among life’s most challenging experiences. If you believe that the death of your family member resulted from the negligent or reckless actions of another person or entity, you may have grounds for seeking monetary compensation. With the assistance of an experienced Nashua wrongful death attorney, you can increase your chances of securing financial recovery.
At our law firm, we understand the immense pain and suffering you are going through. We are committed to providing comprehensive legal representation to help you navigate the legal system and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact the Coates Law Office, PLLC today, either through our online form or by calling our office to schedule a free consultation. Remember, time is of the essence, so don’t delay in seeking the justice your loved one deserves.